How can I get my property out of the flood zone?
If your house is built high enough you can apply to FEMA for a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA). A licensed surveyor must sign and stamp part of the application. For more information visit Search for “apply for LOMA.” FEMA is likely to grant a LOMA if the lowest adjacent ground elevation next to your house is at or above BFE.

Show All Answers

1. FEMA is asking my insurance agent for documentation regarding my flood zone. Why and how do I respond?
2. Why do I have to pay flood insurance if my property has never been flooded?
3. How can I reduce the cost of my flood insurance?
4. How can I get my property out of the flood zone?
5. What is a Base Flood?
6. What is the Base Flood Elevation (BFE)?
7. Does my home qualify for a grandfather flood insurance policy?
8. What is a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)?
9. Will FEMA grant a LOMA for a detached garage if the garage floor is below the BFE but the building is wet-flood proofed?
10. Where can I obtain a copy of the Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM)?
11. Who do I call if I have more questions about flood insurance?