View All Posts

May 24

Emergency rent and utilities assistance for renters and landlords still available

Posted on May 24, 2021 at 7:55 pm by Clay Curtin

San Mateo County, along with the State of California, are still offering emergency rental assistance to San Mateo County residents who have experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19 and have been unable to pay their rent and/or utilities. The program is for both eligible tenants and landlords, and proof of citizenship is not required. Eligible tenants and landlords may apply for assistance with utilities in addition to rent.

Landlords who have income-eligible renters experiencing a financial hardship due to COVID-19 with past due rent are eligible. Renters who have experienced a financial hardship due to COVID-19, have past due rent or utilities, and have a household income that is not more than 80% of the area median income can also seek assistance.

Landlords can get reimbursed for 80% of past due rent accrued between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021, if they agree to waive the remaining 20% of unpaid rent. Eligible renters whose landlords choose not to participate may still apply on their own and receive 25% of unpaid rent accrued between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021 through a direct payment to their landlord. If a landlord refuses direct payment, the 25% can be paid to the renter to pay missed rent to their landlord by June 30, 2021. Paying 25% of past due rent by June 30, 2021, can help keep renters in their homes under the extended eviction protections provided in SB91.

Eligible renters can also receive help paying future rent, equal to 25% of their monthly amount to help them stay in their homes, and 100% of up to 12 months of unpaid or future utility bills

To check eligibility requirements, apply or find a Local Partner Network organization who can assist you further, visit or call 833-430-2122, toll free. View the program flyer (English | Spanish) for more details.