View All Posts

Mar 16

Upcoming application period for Emergency Rental Assistance Program

Posted on March 16, 2021 at 11:38 am by Clay Curtin

Many renters are facing financial challenges resulting from COVID-19 pandemic due to furloughs, layoffs, businesses not operating or having to stay home to care for family members. This in turn has resulted in many residents not being able to pay their rents. When renters default on rent, landlords can suffer as well and might not be able to make their own mortgage payments on the rental property.

The Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) helps renters who have fallen behind on their rent payments due to a COVID-related loss of income or COVID-related increase in expenses. Up to 80 percent of unpaid rent will be repaid for low-income tenants who did not pay their full rent between April 1, 2020, and March 31, 2021 (if landlords agree to forgive the remaining 20 percent). Partial rental assistance is also available for tenants whose landlords decline to participate, and eligible tenants may be able to receive help with part of their future rent bills. San Mateo County will receive approximately $47 million and both tenants and landlords will be able to apply.

Applications are expected to open March 15, 2021. For more information, visit the San Mateo County emergency funds webpage or the State's tenant and landlord resources webpage.