Posted on June 22, 2020 at 9:39 pm by Clay Curtin
Summer is here and with it comes warm weather. We are all doing our part by staying at home. That means household energy use has likely increased which could mean a rise in energy bills. Here are some simple tips to help your home stay cool, save energy and lower your electric bill.
- Close the blinds or shades in the morning to reduce solar heat gain. Keep the windows closed to keep cooler air inside.
- When temperatures cool down in the evening, open windows to let the cooler air in.
- Don’t cook in the oven, as it heats up the house. Use the microwave oven instead.
- Use fans to help people feel cool. Air running across the skin can make it feel up to 4 degrees cooler. At night, set them in the window to help draw in cooler air.
- Set the air conditioning thermostat to 78 degrees.
- Put your computer in sleep mode or shut it down when not in use.
- Turn down the brightness on your screens and use eco-friendly modes when possible.
- If you have a dishwasher, be sure to wait until it is full to run it.
For more tips, visit Energy Upgrade California