Encroachment permits

Encroachment permits are required whenever a property owner or contractor needs to perform work in the public right of way.
"No person shall perform any work, construct any facility, make any excavation or fill any excavation, store materials and/or vehicles in or upon any real property in which the City has an interest, whether by title, easement, right-of-way, license or otherwise, without first obtaining an encroachment permit to do so from the Public Works Director." (Menlo Park Municipal Code Section 13.18.020)
Other activities requiring an encroachment permit include:
  • Installation, replacement or repair of sanitary sewer laterals or water service connections
  • Enlargement or replacement of driveway
  • Replacement of sidewalk, curb or gutter
  • Temporary storage of a debris box or moving container
  • Potholing
Applicants can email a completed application or submit it in person to the Building Division between 1–5:30 p.m., Monday–Friday (closed every other Friday). 

Please allow 3–5 days for the Engineering Division to process the encroachment permit application. Be sure to submit all items listed below, or permit approval may be significantly delayed. Permits for storage of debris or moving boxes, and for emergency work, can typically be processed within one day.

Required items

  1. Fill out an encroachment permit application form. A hardcopy is also available at the front counter of City Hall. 
  2. Submit a site specific sketch of the work proposed. Include street name labels, pertinent dimensions, and locations of permanent facilities such as joint poles and trees. If the construction activity is related to a development project, include a copy of the plans in lieu of a sketch.
  3. Submit a traffic control plan. Include pedestrian and bicycle diversion, if applicable. For residential streets, a simplified traffic control plan may be applied. Contact staff for further information.
  4. Submit the appropriate fees, per the City's master fee schedule. Additional fees may be required pending review of the permit submittal package.
  5. Proof of insurance. The City of Menlo Park’s officials, agents, employees, and contractors must be named as additional insured. 
  6. Contractors must have a Menlo Park business license.
  7. Contractors must have a State contractor’s license to work in the public right of way. Class A and C8 are the most common.
  8. Photographs of the construction area are helpful, but not required.
  9. City standard details
  10. A copy of the permit from the West Bay Sanitary District shall be submitted to the city before an encroachment permit for work in the public right of way can be issued for a sewer lateral replacement.
  11. Some projects will require a truck route permit to use local streets.